Since I’m on the political kick (I’ve decided I’d rather put up with a lot of crap now so I can tell people “I told you so” later), here’s a list of Obama campaign pledges. Print it out and whenever Obama fulfills that pledge, cross it out. If he doesn’t…well…keep it up so you can remind yourself what was promised.
- Give a tax break to 95% of Americans who work every day and get taxes taken out of their paycheck every week.
- Eliminate income taxes on Social Security for seniors making under $50,000.
- Give homeowners and working parents additional tax breaks.
- No tax increases (not even a dime) on anyone if they make under $250,000 $200,000 $150,000 $120,000. This includes income taxes, capital gains taxes and payroll taxes.
- End tax breaks to companies who ship jobs overseas.
- Give tax breaks to companies that invest in America.
- Eliminate capital gains taxes for small businesses and start-up companies.
- Create 2 million new jobs by rebuilding roads, bridges, schools and laying broadband lines across the country.
- Invest $15 billion a year in renewable energy sources to create 5 million new energy jobs over the next decade.
- Reopen old factories, old plants, build solar panels and wind turbines.
- Build a new electricity grid.
- Build the fuel-efficient cars of tomorrow.
- Eliminate the oil we import from the Middle-East in 10 years.
- Lower premiums for those who already have health insurance.
- People who don’t have health insurance will be able to get the same kind of insurance that members of Congress get.
- End discrimination by insurance companies to the sick and those who need care the most.
- Invest in early childhood education.
- Recruit an army of new teachers.
- Pay our teachers higher salaries but demand higher standards and more accountability.
- Guarantee higher education to all young people who commit themselves to national service (whether it is the military, Peace Corps, etc.).
- Stop spending $10 billion a month in Iraq
- End the war in Iraq
- Finish the fight and snuff out al Qaeda and bin Laden.
- Increase our ground troops and our investments in the military.
- Invest in 21st century technology so that our troops have the best training and equipment when they deploy into combat and the care and benefits they have earned when they come home.
- No more homeless veterans.
- No more fighting for disability payments.
Bonus points if he can heal the planet.
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. These are all from a speech in Sarasota, Florida. He’s made plenty more over the course of the campaign and honestly, few have the time to track down them all.
Remember, these are his promises. This is what he expects to accomplish. With expectations this high, his approval ratings can only go one way. The media will certainly keep his popularity afloat for a little while, but he can’t hide forever. Estimate: this time next year (November ’09) will be when the Obama backlash begins…if it doesn’t start sooner.
Speaking of Hope and Change, he’s certainly not doing any of the latter in his adminsitration. He offered former Clinton crony Rehm Emanuel to be his chief of staff. Emanuel is, as said, a Clinton crony most famous for telling Republicans “to go fuck themselves.” Classy, true example of Obama’s brand of “new” politics. Looks like “change” was just a facade for “status quo”.
One last thing and I’ll shut up until tomorrow: my brother had to watch both John McCain’s speech and Barack Obama’s. He was allowed to sleep through McCain’s speech but when Obama came on, the teacher singled him out in front of the entire class…because it was historical…but mostly because she voted for the baby killer.
“Washington voters approved an assisted suicide initiatve, but actually half the country voted for assisted suicide last night anyway, so it’s no big loss.“